Friday, July 20, 2012

Fake Makeup for your daughter

Original post: Faux Makeup

Just wash out your old makeup containers with soap and water, and let them dry thoroughly.
Then, (once you've gotten some cheap Dollar Store nail polish, or use some that you don't use as much anymore), just slowly pour it into your containers where the makeup used to be.

I say slowly because you don't want to accidentally pour out the little mixing beads that are inside. Also, before pouring shake the polish well, but then let it sit for a minute so the air bubbles can rise and pop and not mess up your "makeup."

You can use as much as you want, but as the polish dries, it shrinks, so it will actually look like about half of what you pour in. It takes a full 24 hours for the polish to dry, but I waited another few days since it was still pretty stinky (didn't want the kiddos getting high off it), and to make sure it was thoroughly set.

Don't forget to let it dry in a well ventilated area, away from bugs that might get stuck in it. Also, this is probably a craft to do without your kids since, (a) there are lots of fumes & (b) they can't really help much and they can't even play with it for 3 whole days!!!


Me: I had so much fun making this.  I made eye shadow, blush, and pressed powder.

IMAG0202IMAG0203IMAG0204IMAG0205

I got my containers from the dollar store, and just dug out the real makeup, then cleaned the containers. I bought the nail polish from the dollar store as well. I did several layers because it shrunk so much when it dried. And it did take several days for it to dry hard.

The Princess loves playing with this, and I love that she isn’t wearing real makeup.  I don’t like her wearing the real stuff yet, not even for dance recitals.  I want her to stay looking like a little girl for as long as possible!

1 comment: