Monday, July 23, 2012

Cleaning Silver

Original Source: How to Clean Silver with Aluminum Foil

I lined the sink with aluminum foil, the bottom and up on all sides. Then I poured a half-cup of ordinary table salt and a half-cup of baking soda into the sink; filled it with boiling hot water, and dropped in the silverware. I left it in the water for about a half hour.  


Me: I have heard about this for years, but I am so skeptical about these kinds of things.  It “magically” takes away the tarnish?  Yeah, right.  So I thought this would be a great time to try it out. My silver is from an antique store, which my hubby found for me about 5 years ago.

Before pictures:

IMAG0209IMAG0210

After:

IMAG0222IMAG0216IMAG0221

I am THRILLED!!!!!  I didn’t even let it soak for 1/2 hour, only about 5 minutes.  I did take a rag and wipe down each piece.  A couple I had to wipe hard, because the tarnish was heavier in the design on the end.  But for about 1 1/2 hours of work, I got this entire set of silver cleaned. 

I will definitely be doing this again!

1 comment: