Friday, August 3, 2012

Homemade Streak-Free Window Cleaner

Original Source:  Streak-Free Window Cleaner

 

3 1/2 ounces Jet Dry
4 Tablespoons rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup ammonia
1/4 cup powdered dish-washer soap
2 Gallons of Hot Water

Squirt windows with hose.

Use long handled brush (we used one of those car washing microfiber thingies) to dip in solution and scrub windows thoroughly. Then spray windows thoroughly to rinse.

Just LOOK at that sheeting action!!

A little while later….the windows will dry to an even shine with no wiping or squeegeeing! A SHINY, STREAK-FREE WINDOW! Just as “advertised”! :-)


Me: Confession time.  We have lived in our house for 8 years, and I have never cleaned the outside windows.  I know, shameful. So I was excited when I read about this.  Skeptical, but excited.  I figured if it works, great.  If it doesn’t, at least I will have cleaned them.  I went out and bought the scrubber from Wal-Mart.  It’s the exact same one, and was very inexpensive.  I followed her instructions, but I doubled the recipe, because I was going to do all the windows.  I didn’t need to.  I had plenty to do every single window, with lots left over. 

I enlisted the help of my children, who lugged the bucket around, sprayed windows, and even climbed ladders and washed the 3 highest windows for me.  When we were done, we went back to the first window, and guess what?

It was GORGEOUS!  It truly was streak and spot free!  I was amazed!  And it was so fast.  We did all the windows in just about an hour.  And that included taking the screens out and spraying them off and spraying down my vinyl siding to get all the dirt off. 

I did learn that when rinsing the window after scrubbing it, spray it really good from the top down to get all the soap off the window.  I will definitely be doing this over and over again! 

1 comment: